Friday, 1 February 2008

Status Friday

So here it is Friday and man did the time fly. I think my hand is hurting from all the writing. 

But in the spirit of holding myself accountable, I have accomplished the following of my goals: 

- written roughly HALF of the agents down on cards. This is a lot of work, more than I expected, but I think it'll pay off in the end, as I'll have a handy little card of all their likes and dislikes. I am going to need more time to focus on agents, but I'm gonna do this on the off time DoA has. That's the plan, anyway.

- got five + chapters. I think I'm at six for the week, which is great. I won't always have this amount of time, and I had to stop on Wednesday to really think things through for the next section, but all is well here.

- dude, querytracker.net is gonna have to wait until those two months I spoke about earlier. That is far too complicated to attempt whilst writing the actual manuscript.

- I wrote up another query. I think I like the first query the best, but I am going to continue writing until I have four or five, to find out which has the best "fit" to my voice and my book. Maybe I'll even post them, or have some kind of secret contest. I dunno. 

So there we are. How's your writing coming along? 

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You are well on your way! Sounds like you are motivated and organized!

I started researching agents when I was about two months from finishing my book (first draft). It definitely gave me a light at the end of the tunnel, and a little fire under my feet to work harder.

When I finished my final draft, I already had my query ready to go. The downside was, I sent them off the day after I finished, and got instant replies. It made it all go so fast, probably too fast.

My completely amateur advice is to keep doing exactly what you are doing, but wait a week or two (or more) to send the queries when you are done. Put the book away for a week or so and then take it out and look at it. I could have used a little more time to polish and rethink. With the immediate requests, I think I ended up sending out chapters that might have been tighter given a bit of time away from it.

Of course, I could spend forever rewriting the silly thing, and at some point, I just had to go with what I had.

Good luck with your writing and thanks for visiting my blog! I'll check in with yours every now and then to see how you are coming!