Wednesday, 25 June 2008

Midweek thoughts

Heidi once said "I think all writers must be masochistic because we willingly open ourselves up to numerous rejections."

I think she's right. 

And ... I have been wondering about writer boards. Don't get me wrong, I love them. I regularly go to AbsoluteWrite and Verla Kay, and even have made comments. But I have a problem. I'm primarily a loner type of person. Give me what I need in terms of human contact (husband, critique buddies, the couple friends I have, animals and oh, I dunno, AGENT AGENT AGENT) and I'm pretty happy. 

I must have some flaw in my character to not go and post my brains out on them, and it makes me wonder. I like to commiserate as much as the next guy, but I am an introvert as well and need to work it out in my head before I go commiserating about it somewhere. And it breaks my heart, because I think I want to do that - have lots of writer friends and be popular on all the boards. I just don't know how to do it, or I try and FAIL, or ... 

Does this make me stupid? A victim of poor human socialization when I was young? An optimistic dork? 

Perhaps, and I'm trying to figure it out. 

***edited to take out a sentence that was confusing

6 comments:

JenWriter said...

I love the boards, but I love all the online social networks. I'm a strange mixture of introvert and extrovert. I love being at home and in my comfort space, but I still need that human contact so I make up for it by being all over the place online. Blogs, boards, Facebook, Twitter. I never really thought of it as a way to get an "in" with an agent. I just do it for fun and to make some great writing friends who understand what I'm going through. I met one of my beta readers online. She's been the best.

Just do whatever you feel comfortable with. :) I've been hearing more stories lately of people getting published by the good ole query. It can happen!

JKB said...

Don't get me wrong...I have also read of the query process netting agents...a good buddy of mine Cindy Pon found hers that way. I do not want to whine in any way...my point to this entire post is that I am trying to figure out how to do this with the amount of energy everyone seems to be putting into it.

That is all.

cindy said...

don't stress it, jen! not everyone likes forums. (i for one, don't chat or text or like phones.) and maybe you aren't in a place where you want to be social. or maybe you never want to be *that* social. it does take a lot of time to hang out on forums so you can query and write instead!

i don't think it makes you odd at all. =)

JKB said...

LOL Good I was particularly thinking of you, /bootay shake!! LOL

And unfortunately I need all the query time I can get. Guess what? I wrote another frakking one!

Heidi the Hick said...

Snort, hahaha! I said that? Hot damn, I is smarter then I thoughts I was and all!

Seriously, I get the weird introvert/ extrovert thing. I'm that way too. Totally.

But I hate Facebook and chats and all that stuff. I like blogs and email because it's on my terms and my time. I'm not a member of any of the writer forums, partly because I'm kind of intimidated, but mostly because I don't have time.

The neat thing is that we can end up finding weirdos just like us. I prefer to look at the positive side of the innernet, y'know?

JKB said...

WEIRDOS UNITE! LOL