Tuesday, 3 June 2008

Reading as a form of editing

You know i read about this when I was writing my book and I thought, what a crock. Reading your book? There's just something so...questionable about that. 

But I did it tonight on a whim as I sat editing and you know what? It's pretty darn cool. :)

The boy catz watched, spellbound, as I walked back and forth in the living room declaiming my lovely book. It makes me slow down on my editing and really feel the flow, which was quite cool. So I figure, what have I got to lose? I'll read the whole darn thing - especially in the trains. 

They'll think I'm some crazy woman. The other passengers already think me somewhat questionable, as I flip open my Mac as soon as I'm on it and start doing something. LOL

Have you ever tried to read your book out loud?

5 comments:

cindy said...

j, i always read the book aloud. it really helps with dialogue and pacing and sentence structure. you will hear mistakes that your eyes gloss over.

i think with my next to final revise, i read the entire novel aloud. good for you for doing it and enjoying it, too. =D

zebramaedchen said...

I don't have a book, but when I'm alone at home I read "Franny and Zooey" out loud. In English.

When you have a hoarse voice in the morning, I'll know why! :)

JKB said...

You know Cindy, I really think it makes a big difference. I can also make sure my voice sounds good. And I'll just go ahead and practice for those author readings. LOL

ZM, hoarseness won't be a problem, I'll be ready every day! LOL

Heidi said...

Lately I've been reading my newest work out loud - with a Texas accent - to see if it sounds realistic and natural. It helps me know how much is too much of the southern grammar and colloquialisms.

i do feel silly though. When they make a audio version of the book they won't get me to do it, for sure!

Heidi the Hick said...

Weird... I have sung in front of people, but I haven't had the guts to read my own book out loud.