Sunday, 8 June 2008

So...I'm back!

Hi!

First I'll get the rabid suck up out of the way. I had a work conference in the UK on Thursday and Friday...we flew with BA. I have to hand it to them, the last time I flew with them they LOST MY DOG, but this time it was much better. LOL. So on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give them easily an 8 or so. They are one of the better airlines I've flown recently on. 

We stayed in Windsor, and my british colleagues brought me up to speed on all sorts of interesting little UK culture bits I had no idea about. As in, they really do consider it the height of good manners to raise your pinky finger when drinking tea. Don't want to look like a gorilla now, do we? And I had beans on toast for breakfast alongside my sunny side up egg and tater tots (it's a British fry up, you moron they said to me when I mentioned the beans thing). SO many fun things I learned! YAY!

Somehow, despite being an affirmed Anglophile from the a very young age *I blame reruns of the Monkees -- Davy Jones, you're the problem!* I've never been there except as a fly through in almost six years of living over here. Random. My verdict on the lovely old UK?

I LOVED it. London? SMASHING. You always mock stereotypes because of their well, stereotypicism, but...honestly. They are called stereotypes for a reason. It was awesome. We were right on the Thames in Windsor (I can say it the right way now LOL) and I had the best idea for a new story, but I wrote it down on my cocktail napkin (whoops, at 4 pm! LOL) and I think ... it's still in my exceedingly posh room in my fine and fancy posh hotel. That looked like a castle. With a crocquet lawn. LOL (Even the Brit colleagues laughed when they saw our hotel. It was a four star but all the stereotypes were in evidence). 

I would go live there. In a heartbeat. I know it's unlikely but a girl can dream, can't she? 

Great place. Highly recommend it. 

So I hope you all have a great weekend - or what's left of it.

4 comments:

Stephen Parrish said...

Lord, don't send me to Heaven when I die, send me to London instead.

JKB said...

Exactly.

AZ said...

Lucky Duck, I want to go to London!

Heidi the Hick said...

Rabid suck?! LOST YOUR DOG?! WOW!

What a way to start a blog post!!!!

I love England so bad so much dearly. My in-lawrs left England in the 60s and have really worked to maintain all their ties with relatives, even though they swear they'd never ever move back. They're ten dollar Canadians now, they are!

Would I move there? In pretend world, sure! In real life no, I love it here too much. Occasionally I have fantasies of spending a few months there though.

Loved your travel report!!