Monday, 2 June 2008

Wow two in a week

So let me start off by saying that usually I'm a re-reader. Multiple times. Books are (english books) so expensive over here, (usually like double the price in the US) that I am really picky about what I buy. 

In researching the books out there and going over a reading list, I've purchased three books lately: Dune, Wicked Lovely and Another That Shall Remain Nameless. 

I'm writing about the first two. Dune? Who would have thought it would be so frakking awesome? I'm usually not into space opera (outside of Battlestar Galactica W00T!) so I wondered when I found it. But the world is so awesome and the characters so rich...it was a pure pleasure to read it, and I don't say that that often. Wicked Lovely is quite good too...it's a faeries book which I find quite nifty, and she had a good basic story that kept me turning the pages. It was good enough to consider reading (and paying for) a sequel. 

So yay for those guys. They were two really awesome books. Really awesome. 

I am in editing mode still and find myself taking breaks from it and these two were great. I might even re-read Wicked Lovely this upcoming week. 

What have you read lately?

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Have you read Holly Black's Faery stories?

TITHE, VALIANT & IRONSIDE.

Modern setting, gritty, tough. With just the right touch of magic!

Heidi said...

Winnie the Pooh, Minnie and Moo, Little Bear, Magic Tree House....

Oh... you mean adult books? For me??

The Road, by McCarthy. Weird. Beautiful and scarce, and weird. There's too much left unsaid for me, and the ending felt too much like nothing was resolved.

Right now I'm reading Jodi Picoult's Vanishing Acts. It's not my favorite of hers. The many different viewpoints are getting old, and its starting to feel like she has a formula. But, every once in a while there is a sentence or two that is brilliant... a thought or reflection that makes you think: Wow! I'm not sure I'm smart enough to right something as insightful as this!

Other than that, I'm in a slow period right now. I'm really, really trying to work on my own writing, but my new writing group is hogging all my time! :) Hee Hee!

I can't wait until the great things I'm reading are ours!

JKB said...

HM Nope I haven't read those stories. I'm going to the UK on Thursday and Friday for a work meeting and plan on hitting up a bookstore there (BLISS!) I'll be looking there for those.

Cool!