Monday, 7 July 2008

Book Review

Totally blatant book love: I finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. All 800 pages. In a day and a half. 

That is how unbelievably great this book is. I kid you not...even if you're not a fantasy person, this book is the real deal. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. 

Yes, I am yelling. Really fantastic good. 

I had entertained ideas of getting in touch with Patrick and interviewing him on the blog...he has a really interesting story. He's been working on this book (and its two sequels) for 14 years. He'd queried every agent in the biz. He'd done all he needed to do and it wasn't working. He ended up finding an agent through a convention (sry, don't remember the name of the author that helped him but the exceptionally smart agent that picked him up was Matt Bialer) and ... here we are. 

But seriously...he's so busy now, no time probably for that sort of interviewing thing. So I'll write my little note here: Patrick, I loved. Your. Book. Kvothe is a great, great guy. I'm really looking forward to the next one. And hey, if you google yourself and find my blog, fancy an interview? It sure doesn't have to be the same old thing. 

But I'll understand if not. And buy your next books. And re-read TNoTW. 

Great book. 

3 comments:

cindy said...

wow, i haven't read an epic fantasy in ages. thanks for the recommendation, j!

JKB said...

No problem, Cindy...it really is an outstanding book. I found myself grinning openly a couple times and that hardly ever happens!

Can't recommend it enough. I'd love to know what you think of it.

Heidi said...

I've got a couple books lined up to read when the time opens up (focusing on the writing right now, doncha know), but I will definitely write this one down and stick it in my wallet for the next time I'm at the bookstore!

I love a great recommendation!