Monday, 15 September 2008

Are you impatient?

Then come over here and sit down by me. 

RIGHT NOW.

*ha*. But seriously, I am 20 chapters down with Ike and I am just finally beginning to be able to understand the word patience. 

I don't work well as a patient person, let me tell you. I get filled with excitement and am crazy with glee and tend to overlook things. By learning to be patient with my writing (i.e., for me this means one chapter a day) I'm able to really make sure that chapter is sparkling, ties in with the plot and is generally just a pleasure to read.

I think.

But it took a long time to get there, and this makes me wonder: will I be my normal impatient self, writing in a frenzy for Texas Fall (Bk 2?) Or will I have learned to be wiser and more patient with the next book?

Time will tell. No time really to wonder about this - I'm in the thick of the rewrites of the heavy bit now, so I'll check in tomorrow.

'Cause I'm impatient.

ETA: Ah ha, great minds think alike...Nathan Bransford has a post up about impatience...


2 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

My life knocked all the impatience out of me, but I gotta tell ya, the snail's pace at which the publishing world moves will eventually numb your impatience.

Mostly.

I'm still checking email three times a day, like that'll make somebody read my query any faster.

Gah.

cindy said...

me, too, j!

GOOD LUCK!!!