Sunday, 7 September 2008

Publicity / Marketing = the difference?

The Swivet has up an awesome post today on the difference between publicity and marketing and what each part actually does. This is super interesting, mainly because I've read on some blogs that they are lead titles, others are midlist, and what will happen. Some of this information I've read elsewhere but is still disturbing:

- Not every book gets equal treatment. 
- Your average book has a publicity budget of 500. dollars.

Other interesting tidbits include:
- Your average debut author will debut mid-list, and that is not a bad thing (she alluded to the general idea being that it was a bad thing, so I'll have to look into this and see what she meant by that.)
- Book store/librarian tours are costly for the publisher and don't really bring back what they pay out.


She will have a post on how we can help this process tomorrow. I'll be linking as well as pulling out points for myself and posting that.

It was such a great post.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for the link! I don't visit her blog regularly, so it's good to know when she's writing about stuff I hope to need to know!

Hope that editing is going well!

JKB said...

Heidi, it's veddy eenteresting. The editing, I mean. Rewarding but exhausting, but I'm sure you know about that, eh?

How's yours coming along?

Heidi said...

Good! I've added about 2,000 more words today (which brings the total addition to about 4,000) and edited about 35 more pages (into the second part). Turns out, I don't think most of it stinks.

Today, anyway.