Tuesday, 18 November 2008

I've got a confession to make...

...and it ain't pretty. 

Ready?

*sigh*

*bigger sigh*

Okay, here goes. 

I'm writing two books at once. 

I know. I know. Erm, glutton for punishment? *Raises hand* But, but, but! I had a real problem going on...I had synopsied (?) the entire next P book, Texas Fall, and other than just writing it it was done. Seriously! And it was writing itself, which is great but...something was lacking.

What was it? 

Then I had this just insane good idea the other day and this kid just wouldn't let me go. I mean, it was like a war going on in my head, what with all the voices and infighting and plots and scenes rumbling around in there. 

So what was I to do? (I'm really trying to excuse myself here in this post) Let them keep fighting? Write TF and have this super great idea just slowly wait and rot? Well, that wouldn't be great for the new book. Dump TF to the side and write The Forester's Son? No, that wouldn't be fair to P. 

So here's what I decided: for every 1k of words I write on TF, I can write 500 words on FS. 

Suddenly, life is awesome again. My head is happy that it can find it out as it goes with FS while not forsaking my P, who I adore. 

So I'm pretty happy, and so far it seems to be going well. They are HUGELY different books, though. For some reason this one is a sort of Pan's Labyrinth-y sort of horror book for MG, which evidently is hawt right now but I never expected to write it. But - it is made of awesome. 

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I think it's awesome you've figured out a compromise. When you are in revising mode that's basically what you are doing anyway - working on the edited book and still writing a new one, right?

As long as you can keep the voice in each (which sounds like it might not be so hard since they are so different), and you aren't neglecting the one your agent is looking for, I think it's great! I don't know that I could do it, but I'm kinda tunnel-visioned when I write, which makes me all the more in awe of you!

And yay for being happy! You can not allow a great story to rot!

cindy said...

wow! amazing! i could never do it. go jkb! go jkb! /bootay shake! =D

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey, if it works for you...

GO FOR IT!

JKB said...

So far so good guys...you all rock!

pseudosu said...

wow-- you must be a master compartmentalizer--
or at the very least mentalizer!
Whatever works!