Wednesday, 18 March 2009

The tone you write in.

The other night, the hubsie was reading my newest, FS (also known as The Forester's Son.) I'm really quite proud of it, because a) it's a new stretch for me, writing wise, b) I really really like the plot and c) it's been really quite difficult to write how I want to. He said something to me after he read the first chapters that really kind of gave me pause. 

"You write some serious stuff!" 

Now, *I* took that as a compliment. He is worried that what I write is not MG...he even thought P might be a lower YA instead. 

This is where our opinions diverged. 

My opinion is :: the kid that is just learning to really enjoy books is developed in this MG period. (remember, this is all just IMO). I remember me, and I wasn't wanting the happy crap. No gossipy stuff. I wanted real life, what it was really like, how it went down in other places that I had no idea of. 

Isn't that sort ofkid, that reading kid, going to enjoy more real life (whether fantasy or not) attitudes toward things? Am I being too tough here when I say that real life is what kids want to read about?

5 comments:

JenWriter said...

Have you read The Graveyard Book? That's MG, and it certainly isn't happy. People die on the first page.

I think the difference between MG and YA has more to do with the age of the character and the voice.

JKB said...

I do agree with the age and voice, as well. I don't think some subjects are "too adult" for MG at all. But it's just me.

And you're right about the Graveyard book. Excellent point.

Patti said...

It's definitely about age and voice. My son's a middle grade reader and his choice of books always fascinates me. He definitely reads more mature stuff.

JKB said...

Patti, can you ask him what he likes better: a short chapter, or a long one? I'm vacillating between the two. I like short. But I think mine are too short.

It's really comforting to know that he reads older. That is a goooooodthing. :)

pseudosu said...

I think kids (ya or mg) want to be given the benefit of the doubt that they know "what's up." I agree, YA is just more edgy w/ older characters and maybe situations. Having been lucky enough to read P-- I'd peg it as mg.