Monday, 6 April 2009

Victory!

I've finally figured it out, how to deal with submissions. Are you ready? This is so it. 

Here is my 6-step process to victory from submissions dread. 

1. Start your next book. 
2. Have a crisis of plot and realize you don't know how to make it continue the way you want it to go. Also, that you don't like your voice and know it's not where you want it to be. 
3. Have surgery that requires you to lay in bed and be in pain. 
4. Have 2 cats that lay on your legs that precludes angst about submissions, because you certainly can't get up and make them *move* just to check your blog stats.
5. Have a realization whilst in a medication-induced state as how to finish said book. 
6. Get lots of outside news from your hubsie that puts everything else into the shade. 

Huh? What? Submissions? Whu--

But seriously. I realized I was so in a bubble these last couple weeks about submissions, and writing, that when the Real Life interrupted I was kind of taken for a loop. And I had to ascertain that submissions is only a part of my life (albeit a big one) that I don't have any control over. 

That's the main thing I have a problem with...the controlling aspect. I am a controller. I control. You know that other jerk, The Decider? He has nothing on me. I am a controooooooller. 

To end my somewhat rambly post, a friend of mine (fellow agency client) asked me something that gave me pause. "But you've got Marlene!" He said, indignant. "What do you have to worry about?" 

And I realized he was right. 

So I think I'll take a break from obsessing over it. I started yesterday, and actually, it's going okay. 


6 comments:

pseudosu said...

The real life / publishing life conundrum = mind blower huh? Yes, I know. Once I hit send I pictured AgentCoolAssChicka sitting in front of her screen on the other end rubbing her hands together, eyes wide with anticipation, waiting to "receive". What? That's not how it works?

Heidi the Hick said...

You mean... you can actually stop obsessing????

This is good news, potentially.

I haven't gotten a single thing from an agent in 6 weeks. Not rejections, nothing. so I'm thinking maybe I should try this thing with the Not Obsessing?

Heidi said...

The not being able to control thing is the hardest. Especially when subbing to publishing houses, because you as an author really can't do anything.

It does come down to a bit of trust. And maybe knowing that this isn't the only book in you.

I hope you're healing well!

Patti said...

Grant me the courage to change those things I can
Grant me the patience to accept those things I can't change
Grant me the wisdom to know the difference between the two.

One of my favourite quotes.

JKB said...

I think it's possible...it's Tuesday, now and I'm still very zen. I think I might have latched onto the key!!!!!

Peter said...

Ouch! Sorry to hear you had surgery! Hope all is well...! And here I am whining about a broken ankle.. perspective... :P