Saturday, 2 May 2009

Hm...what do you do?

Like most of you, I work. And I commute about four hours a day to get to said work. When I get home, I have to clean the house, work out for at least an hour a night, take care of the cats, and around all of this I write. 

I don't get out much. And today I realized that is a problem. 

I'm so focused on making my books the best they can be that it really slurps up all my time. And everything I do is targeted towards some aspect of them...which is nice, but doesn't really get me away from the whole writing thing, you know? Normally I don't mind, but I think that the progressively crazier and all-encompassing my life gets with this writing thing, the more important it will be to step away.

So I did something not me yesterday. I rode a bicycle with my honey, for an hour to the grandparents and back an hour, and it was great. I was out in nature, I was enjoying the sun, and the light, and the wind, and the smells...I didn't think about my book once. I get that way when I work out but this was easier, somehow...better. 

I need to be able to take some time away, and I'll do it more often now. 

What do you do to get away?

5 comments:

Patti said...

I play soccer. It's great fun and hard to think about the book.

Heidi said...

I think that's really necessary, and I think you'll find you do it more once you are moved and seeing the hubs every night. It's a stress relief, and it helps you refocus and de-stress.

I don't work outside the home, so I'm not sure my answers would count. I have kids to keep up with, laundry, cleaning, cooking, volunteering at the school.. every day is different. I try to go to the gym every day, and that's actually my time off - the only time someone isn't pulling on me or needing me. But at night I watch TV sometimes, and read at least an hour in bed.

Gosh, I'm so busy not writing, when do I write????? Maybe that's why you've written two books in the time it's taken me to write one!

marsh to the fore said...

When I am trying I get away a walk or an hour at a park with Plato is a great thing to do. I'm rereading The House of the Seven Gables right now and it's fabulous escape material!

AutumnZ said...

This is really a quandary, isn't it? Why does life have to be so practical? Why can't we just follow our bliss and still pay the bills?

I am really struggling to find the balance.

Kerri said...

Life can be good outside the walls.