Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Ode to Phineas Moore

When I was little, going out to my grandparents in the middle of the Texas panhandle was a chore. They were good honest people but the library was always closed and it was always just a little boring. It was church and sitting around. Le sigh.

Usually once a visit we went to my grandpa's sister's house. She never had kids, my Aunt Elmer, and her and her husband Uncle P would keep us all in stitches narrating supposedly true stories of things my mom and her brother did when they were little. We didn't believe them, not one bit, but it was always such a nice change to see how Grandma and Grandpa interacted with them. Just being people, normal people, not a Grandma and a Granddad but people you could like to hang out with, even if you were related to them.

As I got older, I really got into the idea of visiting my grandparents and Uncle P and Aunt Elmer. I enjoyed it. They were all so darn feisty. Uncle P always had some chocolate or fizzy drink hidden somewhere for us, and they always had a little ankle-biting dog that would crack me up as it tried to bite my brother: first Walter, then Bitsie. (They were smart dogs). They were all so short, it was like Big Jen In The Land Of The Midgets.

Uncle P died today.

He was the last of those I remember there in the panhandle. We saw him last year, when we were in the US visiting, and I had a chance since to connect and talk to him over the phone. He never really understood the whole "Germany" thing, but he was consistently awesome, and feisty up til the end.

This is when people start to feel old, I think, when their loved ones die. I just feel like my heart has been broken into pieces. I am so sad.

RIP, Uncle P. I hope to see you around.

Phineas Moore
16.Sept.1914 - 23.June.2009

9 comments:

Merrilee said...

*hugs* My sympathies. At least you have some great memories to keep in your heart :)

Kerri said...

I'm so sorry. He seems like an amazing person and was a treasure in your life.

Brit said...

Jen, I am very sorry to hear this sad news. My deepest condolences.

Heidi Yantzi said...

No wonder you adored him.

Hang onto those memories. I have no doubt he had some influence on the way you write. What a blessing you had that last visit and talked on the phone.

I'm sorry for your loss.

sarah e stevens said...

Hugs, hugs, hugs. I'm glad you wrote this as a tribute to him. Sounds like an awesome uncle and I'm sure you were as important to him as he was to you.

I'm thinking of you a lot today.

Heidi said...

sending many hugs!! What a wonderful tribute you have to him, and what wonderful memories you have.

I'm so sorry to hear about this, and hope, as days go by, the sadness lifts a little.

AutumnZ said...

This is a beautiful tribute to him.

JKB said...

Thank you all.

*sniff*

You rock.

pseudosu said...

: / So sorry for your hurt hon. ((hugs))