Tuesday, 4 August 2009

New kind of normal

There's a new kind of normal around my parts.

Since I've moved here, we've been working on getting back iinto that blissful "togetherness" groove. And it's great.

My only problem is that I no longer have 4 hours a day to write. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's so.

My new normal?

Getting up, making a smoothie for me and hubs and sitting down to write. I have 30 minutes a morning before I have to get ready, so I write then (I haven't yet figured out how to make night writing work, really). It does seem to work, but regrettably, I don't make 1k or 2k or 3k words like I used to, in the olden days.

I'm trying to allow myself that it's okay, you know..."At least you're writing!" At least! But somehow 250-500 words isn't as impressive. Even though they're quality words and I'm happy with them.

It'll get better, and right now I'm writing, I'm just disappointed at how little. But I guess it's better than nothing, right?

4 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

New routines take time. You'll be adjusting them over and over in the next year, too. New normals aren't bad. they're just different.

Remember to see all the good about the new normal, too. And remember there are still only 24 hours in a day. You just can't do it all. :)

AutumnZ said...

I read this today and will share it with you now.

What are the consequences if you don't do what you know you should do and what you yearn to do? Can you live with those consequences?





I didn't think you could.

Merrilee said...

It's the time and the daily effort that is always more important than the words.

While it's fine to say "writing comes first!" we know it doesn't, not in the real world. And a stressed, unhappy writer is not a creative writer.

Take your time, settle in, relax :)

AutumnZ said...

I hope that didn't sound snippy; I meant to come off as "you are born to write- don't worry".