Tuesday, 29 September 2009

New mantra

This is my new mantra:

There is no sure thing.

Sing wid me now.

There is no sure thing.

You can't guarantee anything in this life of writing other than the happiness you get out of it. The rest of it? No. Guarantee.

This was particularly brought home to me this last couple weeks, in reading different agent blogs and comments. D'you know, that people actually query them with an incomplete novel, with the words "I just want your opinion if it'll sell or not" in the actual query letter??

??

???

*shakes head*

While I'm further along than these souls, I do believe at some point my book, some book, will be published. But I do think I need to add at the end of that now, in my head:

There is no sure thing.

6 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

I agree. But let's not allow it to damper our confidence! Maybe it should bolster it, instead.

Merrilee said...

You are definitely further along, but at the stage your book is at, barring disasters, you'll be fine.

But yes, there is no sure thing. So that's a good attitude to take :)

Heidi Willis said...

No one can guarantee anything, but one can certainly swing the odds in your own favor. By writing more. Writing better. Researching more. Marketing more. Constantly learning and growing in the process makes success much more likely.

Is there a guarantee you'll sell your book? Maybe not, but the odds are highly in your favor!

Hilary Wagner ~ Writer said...

I guarantee your possums will be in bookstores one day, in the not too distant future. They may be overshadowed by an awesome book about rats (snicker, snicker), but they will be on the shelf and they will be BIG!!!!

xoxo -- Hilary

Patti said...

I agree with Heidi, although there is no sure thing. If we work hard then our chances are better than the guy who queries with an incomplete novel.

JKB said...

You're all absolutely right. I like Janna's idea of taking this as a challenge, which is what I'm presently trying to do.

You guys all have great points. And we'll get through this - together!