Thursday, 31 December 2009

Baby edition: Out fishin'

Well, I've not been around much, that's for sure. Mostly it's been the holidays - this is the first time we've (me and hubs) had off in a year, all of it together, and we've really been enjoying just being in our house with ourselves (and the hubs' new mac laptop, but that's a story for another day.)

Well, Loki, it's official. You are ::::

A GIRL !!!!

And everybody knows it. Christmas dinner has never been so lively with the hubs' parents. Everyone found time to find your mum and give her a hug in private, telling her how happy they were that you were a girl (I pity the boy brought in this family! Ha!) and how much they were looking forward to it. We've got some dates down...pram and baby bed purchase will be in February, some stuff I can get now...so I'm on it.

I've got your swaddling blankets and burp cloths under control, as well as your coming home outfit. Oma (who wants to be called Grandma - which will be discussed shortly) has found you lots of very nice second-hand stuff. Some of it is boy stuff, but you'd hardly know it, and hey, you're not gonna be some fairy princess anyways, right little tomboy? At least you won't be saddled with some of the crap I remember (or worse yet, am PICTURED) wearing. Holy cow.

Can we say butterfly collars, anyone? (Whoever DOESN'T miss the 70's, raise your hand HIGH!)

Sad thing is that they really don't do baby showers, here, which a good buddy of mine told me. So we'll just have to muddle through.

And while we're on the subject.

Your Grandma R is not old enough to be called an Oma. And besides, your Great-Grandma I is already called Oma, which just messes with my head. There can be only one Oma! And your grandma R is just too young.

So I'd like to call her something else.

I am big on Spanish. Abuela? I also like the Greek form - YAYA! That would be so nifty. I don't want her to have a name that is not cool. My mum wants to be Nana, so that is out. (She had grandkids before poor Grandma R did).

I really like Yaya. Really alot. So I guess what I need to do is start whispering it in your ear when you come out so you'll say that instead of Grandma. Heaven help me. Manipulation before speaking!

Other than that, not much. You are growing, using up lots of growth hormone, and it is very odd to have you move in there as you get bigger. You sort of ... squish ... across my organs and that feels distinctly odd. Plus you're totally gonna be some hairy mammoth if this BS about the heartburn=baby hair ratio is true.

Only thing I'd like noted at this time is that needles stink. And I use them now. All. The. Time.

Stink stink stink.

4 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

yay! Lokie is a girl!! I bet that was a fantastic dinner! What a celebration!!

My mom is my kids' Oma. They have an Oma and Opa (my parents) and Grandma and Grandpa (my husbands). Unfortunately for us, we didn't have the first grandchildren, so the names were already set. But I love them anyway.

I like Yaya too. The great thing is, kids don't come out knowing what to call people. They'll call them whatever you do. My kids all started out calling all grandparents Oma and Opa, I think because it was the easiest to say (like Yaya would be, too). Then, as they grew older and people talked about grandparents, they called them both grandma and grandpa. About age 3 it all sorted itself out. :)

Needles... do you have gestational diabetes? Those needles were stinking long!! And I remember telling my doctor there was no way it would go into my very tight abdomen without pricking the baby. Sadly, he didn't agree. So poking continued. Of course now it doesn't seem that bad, but at the time...YUCK!

have I mentioned how much I love these posts?? :)

Stephen Parrish said...

Congrats! I wanted a girl and got one. Don't tell anyone I said this, but buying clothes for little girls is a riot. Also, their toys require less ammunition.

Becoming a parent was the best thing I ever did. I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion.

Bethany Wiggins said...

My numbers one and three are girls. Girls rock. You'll love it. Congrats!!! (p.s.- get as much writing done as you possibly can!!! And sleep!!!)

marsh to the fore said...

The name the kid gives his or her grandparents is really a blast. The only one that's given me a name so far is Theo but Nicky will not be far behind.

First--Nana--and I liked that, but, Jen, I think it was Heidi that said they call you whatever the parents call you so then I was:

Marsa.

Can't say his "h's" so it was Marsa.

And then, probably because Glenn started calling me "Grandma" of course I became:

Grandma.

You know--anything's Great!