Tuesday, 8 December 2009

Making a Gingerbread House, JKB style

Well, this weekend we set ourselves a goal: making a gingerbread house. We're trying to get our little Yule traditions up and running before Loki gets here.

Have we ever made a gingerbread house before?

No.

Did we let that stop us?

No.

And thus I mixed up an obscene amount of gingerbread dough, and it looked like this:

My hubs and I did this together, listening to the Homicidal Christmas Channel on the live streaming radio. It was very funny, hearing R2D2 telling the Night before Christmas, and the Hanukkah song.

And since he's a maths freak, we did the cutting-out and measuring of everything with MATH. Not eyeballing it, as I was ready to do. As I was perfectly happy and willing to do. Instead, on a Saturday morning at 11, I had to use my BRAIN.

And it hurt, preshus.

Below, see my stringent pencil and paper notes as well as the maths. Holy cow. I didn't even have an eraser! *cries*

Here is what hubs did: the rolling out, the cutting, the placing of the gingerbread on the tray...

His rolling skills. And his hands. Aren't they cute?

Look at his rolling out and cutting of gingerbread house skills.

*happy sigh*

And all I did to this point was place the gingerbread pieces in the oven.

While we were waiting, I mixed up the icing, and the stuff all together. Used my new food colouring, too.

I won't show you the hot glueing part. (Because this is where hubs burned his hand enough to blister it, the poor thing! So I sent him to the bathroom while I finished glueing it together.)

And voila! Here is our little gingerbread house, all put together.

But then we started to decorate it. And THIS is where I managed to be of some use!

*hee*

My kitchen SO looked like a tornado hit it. This is just the tiniest bit of how horrible it was. The BlackCat had a fun time going through and taste testing, though. The little turd.


And.......

The finished product!!

I used snickers for the path, and I think this might possibly be the coolest aspect of this house E-V-A-R.

Regarde!!



Another view:

See? We're *so* gonna be ready for next year!

If you are interested in the recipe for the gingerbread, let me know. I'll be happy to share!















11 comments:

Merrilee said...

Jen that is gorgeous! I am SO impressed!

JKB said...

Thanks, Merrilee!! We're actually really proud of it. I'm already planning improvements for next year...

soblom said...

Hey, why don't you link to the good guys over at somafm.com. The channel was "Xmas in Frisko" at http://somafm.com/recent/?xmasinfrisko

JKB said...

Well, you just did it, smartypants.

:-)

Kerri said...

WOW! You did an amazing job. Loki is going to have the most creative parents ever (I say that b/c we're the coolest =)

Patti said...

Your child is going to love you.

Hilary Wagner ~ Writer said...

Jen,

I love it! I want to eat all those Snickers Bars! Hey??? Where are the Cheetos??? You could have made little Cheeto elves! ;)

It looks awesome and "nummy" as Nomi, my 2 year old, would say!

Nom, nom, nom!!!

xoxo -- Hilary

Heidi Willis said...

That's fantastic!! I'm so impressed!!

And so laughing over the sight of the ruler and the gingerbread!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my gosh, a mathematically built gingerbread house!!! He'd get along well with my man.

And you and I will be sticking brightly coloured candies all over it with reckless abandon, right?

paramita said...

Looked so awesome! Wonder what kind of glue you're using? *I'm a total baking novice*

And yup, Loki is going to love it so much :)

*astrid

JKB said...

Thanks, guys!
Kerri - heh.
Patti - THanks man. (hug)
Hilary - no WAY. The cheetoes are ONLY FOR MEEEE.
Heidi W - I know, right? Dorks we are, totally.
Heidi TH - I think he probably would. And yeah, all those blobs on that house come from ME, man!
Astrid - Melted sugar! It works like a charm, but burns like a B*TCH! lol!