Friday, 1 January 2010

Happy New Year...

to you all!

Two years. Two years since I started this blog, and since then I've moved, gotten pregnant, finished five books, queried two, gotten representation and then found the PERFECT AGENT, thought and ruminated and pondered and travelled and above all else, written.

Every day. Even if it was a small amount by some's standards, I've done it.

What have I learned?
  • It takes more than an idea to finish a book. It takes picky beta readers and your best game. All the time.
  • My husband is possibly the most supportive, cool guy in the world.
  • I can finish multiple books, edit them and get them "done."
  • Some books take *so* much longer than others to get right.
  • There is no set rule of thumb for when a book is finished. But I can sure tell you, it's not after you finish that first draft.
  • Finding an agent is hard, but so worth it. Don't take the first one that offers unless you *really* feel like they are the one.
  • You are never ever finished. Got the book done? Great. Go find an agent. Did that? Wonderful. Now try and sub in a sub-zero book buying environment. Get a deal? CONGRATS! Now panic yourself into a breakdown worrying about your sales numbers and if that second deal will happen based off your results. It never ends, man.
  • You will stop believing in yourself, and you'll have to find that belief again. But only those that don't stop will become published. Don't give up!
Last year I did goals, which was funny because I'd never really tried the whole goal thing at the beginning of the year thing. And you know what? I accomplished every one of them, but it wasn't because I had a resolution to do it. I just wanted them for myself, so I went step by step, day by day, and by the end I'd done it. I don't think I really agree with the resolution thing.

So for this year I'm simply continuing on the path I'm on. It's gonna be a big year; I'm deep in Panic, have next book on ice waiting, I have two to revise, and oh yeah, soon we'll have a little baby that will take massive amounts of time. So no, this path I'm on is fine. I won't stop, and I won't give up. I'll get it done, and I'll have some fine, fine news this year.

I know it.

You? Do you do resolutions?

4 comments:

Ello said...

Happy New year, Jen!

May you get fabulous news this new year!

Medeia Sharif said...

Happy New Year. Best wishes to you.

Heidi Willis said...

I know I say this all the time, but I'm in awe of you.

i agree about resolutions, though. The things you really, really want, you go after whether you label it as a resolution or not. And sometimes it takes more than a year to see it all the way through to the end. I think the road you're on is great.

I just want to write another book. And find an agent. All, of course, subject to change with life. :)

Heidi the Hick said...

I so, but I definitely set it up as a goal. I find just stating it makes it more real!