Thursday, 18 February 2010

BABY edition: Look what the cat...erm...ah...

Well little Loki!

Your Yaya and (PePe? Abuelo? Jury is still out) came last weekend and we had a grand time going through all the baby stores, looking at all the stuff possible for a kid and eventually deciding upon a gorgeous changing table, crib and cabinet. Not to mention all the other things that a kid might eventually need.

A great time was had by all, and I don't know if they ever *do* visit my blog, but they get the official:::

COOLEST PEOPLE EVER AWARD

From their first grandchild!

And then look who has found the warmest, nicest, most comfortable bed in the house? I went through Loki's room today and found this:

OH NOEZ I have been caught!

She won't make me get out (wrong!)

It was pretty funny and he was pretty irritated when I threw him out of it. So now I have to wash the sheepskin again. *sigh*

Here's a question for all you mums out there with cats: how did your cats react? Did the first babies accept the second baby so easily? Any cat advice out there? Because if there's one thing I want, it's for all three babies to get along once Loki is here.

Any advice?

7 comments:

Sara McClung ♥ said...

That's a really good question... I'll be checking back here for answers! I don't have babies yet, but we do have two cats... And I do get curious about it all...

notenoughwords said...

I have heard (but this is purely anecdotal) that cats should not have access to young babies, as they tend to sleep with them and can inadvertantly suffocate them.

Other than that, I can't see any reason that they won't, eventually, get along fine :)

Jennifer M. Donahue said...

When I brought my son home from the hospital we put his little carrier on the floor for the cats to investigate (I have two cats who were 6 when this happened).

They both sniffed him and then RAN full speed away. For the next 6 weeks or so they were terrified of the baby and would leave the room when he was around and hide under furniture when he cried.

Eventually they came to realize that he wasn't leaving and chilled out a little. I did keep the cats out of the baby's room, but sometimes they would curl up with him when he napped on the couch. Super cute :)

JKB said...

Sara, it'll be interesting to see what the cats think of the baby, especially *my* cat. He's my shadow and I'm anticipating some trouble. ;-)

Merrilee, I've heard that too, but I'm not worried about that so much as like the one being a real butthead (my cat) he has such strict opinions!

Jennifer, that is great information! I hope that my two act as well-behaved as yours. I'm cool with them hiding under the bed for the first six weeks. LOL!

pseudosu said...

From what I've seen their initial curiosity quickly turns to abject horror. They learn to keep out of arm's reach, and aren't big fans of all the shrieking either.
They usually start coming around again once the kid learns to be quiet, move slowly, speak softly, and be "gentle."

Heidi the Hick said...

He is so adorable in there! Pretending he has every right to be there...!

All I can tell you is that my Nigel, best cat in my world, came up for a tentative sniff of baby when we brought her home. Then she moved and he jumped.

I think what bonded them was my two armed approach. I'd get her all snugged in for a feed and then pet him with my other arm. He looooved baby feeding time because it meant purr time. I often had him curled right around the baby by the time I nursed her to sleep.

I think having him purr on my pregnant belly for her entire gestation helped.

It's just like with an older sibling: make time. The cats will be whining for your attention and it's hard to spread yourself that thin but it's worth it. It's ALL worth it!

Danette Haworth said...

Mine is the tale of a cat and a baby. MM claimed crib and car seat as his own before baby arrived. He did not move out when baby came home, but he allowed her to cohabitate with her.

I tried to stop him, but he liked it, she liked it, and I often awoke to her laughter as he tugged the footies of her sleeper.

Later, he'd jump on her toddler bed and bite her feet hard if he felt they were in his spot. By now, I had two other babies whom he did not like. MM went to live my MIL.

In a traitorous move, he sleeps lovingly near her pillow and stirs only when she wakes. She lets him lick the yogurt top after she peels it from the carton.

"He's completely rehabilitated," she tells me.

He's so devious. When she's not looking, he snaps out his claws and scratches me.