Wednesday, 16 June 2010

do your genre hopping now!

Hey guys.

I'm extolling you today to do the unthinkable:

Do your genre hopping now.

Once you get that agent, and you get that deal, it's a good chance you'll be expected to have similar books in your repertoire (hopefully finished and ready to be given up to a new home). The idea that you've written lots of different types of things is irrelevant when you've got that first contract.

It's all about getting those tremendously important people, the ones that mean more than anything else, anything: fans.

I mean sure. JK Rowling and fantasy go hand in hand. But if she whipped out a contemporary novel now, her fans would buy it simply because it was JK's.

If she would have tried to whip it out right after the launch of her first book? Maybe, maybe not.

From what I've been seeing on the internet and boards (searching this very thing) it is VERY important to have your genre down before you get that pub. Make sure you want to continue writing in that vein for awhile before you get stuck there!

Have you found your niche, yet? I'd love to know what it is!

10 comments:

soblom said...

oops, your layout is completley different. That's what happens if you only read via Google Reader, you just don't see the original layout.

My 2 cents: Keep in mind that not everybody has 5 book ideas a month and actually executes many of them, so I would say, good point, but a bit of an embarrasment of riches.

Hilary Wagner ~ Writer said...

Jen, if you want to write an edgy possum romance why don't you just say so? Yes, it's weird and all, but we love you for who you are! Don't hide behind a blog post. ;)

*grins broadly*

xoxo -- Hilary

Janna Qualman said...

I have, and I'm so thankful. Women's fiction, it has my heart.

Thanks for the great advice, JKB!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

You are so right! A friend of mine who just got an agent and her first sale (mg hf) wrote a more contemporary piece and was basically recommended to put it on hold and to stick with hf until she is more established.

Jen, I have an award for you over at my blog. :)

Janet Johnson said...

Very interesting! It makes sense though. You expect more of the same from a writer . . . that's why you go back, right?

Jemi Fraser said...

I like lots of genres - right now I'm really enjoying YA steampunk. I think it'll be easy to stay with it for a long time :)

pseudosu said...

One of my fav authors, who's a major best seling and pulitzer winner, had a novel rejected because it broke from his genre. This is after having over 23 best selling books pub'd.

yes-- LOVE you genre or start thinking up pseudonyms. (hmm, pseudosu??)

Barbara Martin said...

And is an author doomed if they prefer to write in multiple genres?

Medeia Sharif said...

You changed your templates. I love it.

For my future wips, most are in the same genre, but a few are different.

Alison Stevens said...

I'm doing my genre hopping now, simply because I haven't figured out what fits best, yet.

I just finished a fantasy MG novel. Don't know if that will turn out to be my niche, but it sure was fun!