Thursday, 3 June 2010

A tip - with love, me.

This is something I've been struggling with the last few days.

Control issues.

I think you guys probably have them too - trying to control all the things about your writing that you simply cannot control. Getting an Agent. Going on Sub. Finding a publisher.

If you are like I was, everyday a small new baby grey hair would ping into existence on your scalp...proof of the horrible things you were doing to your body. Stress kills, you know. And I'm pretty convinced that writers stress more than ANYONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

I don't even like myself right now. Because I'm doing it. I'm trying to control things that can't be controlled.

And until I get myself back under control (i.e., only worrying about things I *CAN* control) I'm hurting myself and my chances for the future. So this is JKB, asking you:

do you have control issues?

If so, do you want to sit by me? We can share some chocolate.

2 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

I feel your pain! Going through the agent hunting process was a lesson in how little control we have over our dreams.

Going through the selling of that book is much the same.

I've become more laid back about it now, but probably mostly because I'm back into writing obsessively. When I poke my head out of the ground, I'm sure the stress will all come back.

Can I still sit with you and eat chocolate?

Medeia Sharif said...

I worry all the time.

And I'm getting a lot of gray.

Plus, I'd love to sit with you and eat chocolate.