Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Things I've learned so far.

As I was walking the kid in her pram this morning I was thinking about particular lessons I've learned thus far in this long process titled "Getting your book published."

I thought I'd share them.

- If you don't ask, you won't ever find out.
- Sometimes when you ask, you get the best answer. EVER.
- Just when you think it's not possible to be any more sick of the same words, you get sicker.
- Publishing a book morphs into a whale of a project once you sign the contract.
- Marketing and the thoughts of obscurity can drive you nuts. Make a spreadsheet and write down all your ideas. You can use all of them in some way.
- Do not wait until three months before your pub date to do marketing. I've been working on it since February and things are finally falling into place now.
- A good website is worth its weight in gold.
- To get a good website sometimes you have to pay its weight. Ha ha!
- It's very humbling when your editor adores your book as much as you do. Very. Humbling.

So far, that's what I've got.

And you? What nuggets of wisdom have you learned along your path?

4 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I'm not that far yet - I'm getting my education through you!

As for your author photo- does it have to be of your whole face? Maybe just your eyes instead? A little mystery?

It might help if your camera shy, not?

Katie said...

Ooo I love these! Great advice!

dirtywhitecandy said...

I'd say: start thinking about your second novel long before you need to. While you're revising your first. You might only have a year to write it and that goes very quickly - especially if you're going from a standing start.

Medeia Sharif said...

I learned that being online a little bit a day, tweeting, blogging and commenting, goes a long way. I have complete strangers sending messages asking about me and my book.