Wednesday, 3 November 2010

A different type of insanity for NaNo

Heya guys!

How's NaNo? Are you doing it?

I'm not. BUT. I'm doing something waaaaaaaay crazier. Wanna know what it is?

*waits*

I'm writing two books at once.

If you follow me on Twitter, you might have seen this little conversation I had with lots of my buddies (seriously, if you're not on twitter, why not? Best. Convos. Evar). I had an idea of one I've been wanting to write forever, but didn't. Why? Mainly because it patently did not fit my "brand":

a) the kid is a SMART ASS
b) it's got magical realism elements
c) it's freakin' funny, for crying out loud
d) it does not make people cry.

Clearly I need to keep my crying element on the up and up. I'm working on one now that makes me cry; it makes me want to curl up in a corner and suck my thumb when I'm finished with pieces of it, so I was getting pretty depressed. It's ultimately an uplifting story but there's sure as heck no happy ending WHICH, well, I was wanting from SOMETHING. I don't normally do happy endings but I needed one.

Anyway. I totally digressed there, didn't I.

So what I ended up deciding is that I would write that one for ME. For FUN. Alongside writing the one that is deep and thought provoking and also something I love doing just needed a break from.

So yesterday I got about 2k of words on each, and I'm feeling pretty saucy. I'll let you know how it continues, but at least the first day wasn't a total wash.

:-D

Have you ever tried to write two at once? Any tips or tricks I ought to know?

5 comments:

Janna Qualman said...

Wow! Good luck to you, Jen!

I'm not doing NaNo, either (though I originally thought I would), but have other stuff on my plate. That works!

Matthew Rush said...

Nope. I don't have the kind of brain that could do that.

JKB said...

Janna, it most definitely does!

Matthew, you make me sad. I thought for sure you would have!

*cries*

Patti said...

I have tried and it didn't work so well for me, but maybe having them be so different would help.

Heidi Willis said...

I'm not that good of a multi-tasker. :) If anyone can do it, it would be you. I'm struggling just to get one at a time done. :)