Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Blogger, I have sinned.

It has been mucho time-o since my last blog post. I have a confession to make, additionally.

I thought I was Superwoman.

I know that other people don't have this problem, but I just kept adding and adding on to the top of an already busy schedule. First the book and all that came with that, then the baby and WOW is that a lot of time you never thought you'd lose, then working from home and trying to write new novels and oh, housework and the cats and being able to speak coherently to my husband which meant sleep which I wasn't getting...

...and I thought I had it all under control until it all came crashing down.

The kicker was my day job.

I don't know about you all, but when I work I like to pay ATTENTION to it. As in, when I'm working I'm concentrating on work. But when I work from home I'm not able to do that, which led (last week) into a major epic meltdown. There wasn't time for anything to be done right, and if you don't do it right, why bother, you know? Everyone was depending on me and I wasn't delivering.

So I stopped. Everything. (Everything that I could.) Including Twitter, the blog, the other social media that everyone and their dog says is so important for authors. I did learn some things:

1. You will not die if you do not twitter/facebook/blog.
2. There is only so much that a body can do in a day. Go over at your peril.
3. Take a nap every once in awhile.
4. Break things up into tiny steps.

And the most important one. This one is a STUNNER:

5. The job of an author is to WRITE. All the other crap is well, crap. (Except for the baby and cats and husband).

I won't fail if there's no blog post for the week. I WILL fail if I am not constantly making a new book. Without follow up, there's no point in continuing, because for most authors, one book does not a career make.

So that's where I am at. Now that I've accepted I am not Superwoman, things have become more sane. I might not be here all the time but I will be here. And life will not end if I do not go insane on everything all the time.

You?

5 comments:

aspiring_x said...

hooray to you for realizing your limits! :)
but concentrate on the day job? really? :P

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Clapping wildly for this wonderful post!!! This is soooo true! Life can be overwhelming and none of us are super human comic book characters (we wish!). Sounds like you've got your priorities in order--good for you! Stay well!

Medeia Sharif said...

I realized my limits a few months ago and I've cooled it off a bit with the social networking. I also get my day job stuff done or else it'll snowball into a mound of procrastination. I can't do everything and I can't multi-task to the point of being Superwoman.

OMG...your book cover is up. :)

Nita said...

Oh darn. You mean we aren't super? I thought the very fact we were women made us super. Actually, I just stopped by to tell you so sorry you're having to shlep through the snow with baby, pram, AND groceries. Reminds me of a story my dad used to tell regularly about my mom loading all of un in a wagon to go visit a friend when cabin fever got the best of her one year. Thanks for the memory. ~Nita

Heidi Willis said...

I am so with you here!!

Finding balance is a tricky thing. It feels like everything is important. Eventually, you figure out what is most important, and you add the rest as you can.

Guilt, on the other hand, comes free of charge.