Friday, 1 April 2011

The Great Oklahoma Showdown!

This is another blog post I've been dying to write.

It's taken me over a year to get this thing approved and all worked out, but here it is. My mini-masterwork.


What it is, in essence, is a literary creative competition for students in the 4th, 5th and 6th grades throughout Oklahoma. (Note: I've had some questions from teachers outside Oklahoma as to whether they can take part. My answer is 'yeah sure, just know you'll be official Okies for the duration of the competition!')

My publisher Holiday House has been awesome through this entire planning process, and all the various press releases and letters and everything. *This* is what I was referring to when I mentioned envelopes on twitter. *This* is what has been giving me hives for a long while, because I was afraid nobody would want to do it.

But I'm doing it. And I'll be coming to America in November to give out the prizes. It'll be awesome. Spread the word! I'd love to see a class you know take part!

Follow the Oklahoma Showdown on Twitter.
LIKE the Oklahoma Showdown Facebook page.

3 comments:

aspiring_x said...

what a cool idea!!!
okies rock! :)

Heidi Willis said...

I've been off-line for four days and missed you making the big announcement, but You know I've been a huge fan of this since you first starting thinking of the idea. You are brilliant and amazing, and I know this will be a huge thing!

I've certainly got my share of teacher friends. None are official Okies, but I'll spread the word and see if anyone wants to join in anyway. :)

Best of success!!

Medeia Sharif said...

What a great idea! And I hope to get your book real soon.