Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Satisfaction

Satisfaction is in the small things that you do in this writing journey. It's not really something I can put a finger on, but the actual sales of the books (while cool) isn't the most satisfying thing I experience in this writing life of mine. (after the first sale, heh heh)

What is?

Finishing a first draft.

That is where I get the most satisfaction. I look at the 55 or so thousand words I've worked on and written out over the course of months of dealing with Loki learning to eat (MY EYES MY EYES), getting her ready for her daycare, getting ready to go back to work, dealing with all the work related stuff, dealing with my debut (HOLY MOLY) coming out in a month and a half, the Showdown, etc, and at that point I look at the finished first draft and I think Holy cow, I can actually do this.

With all the crap set in front of me to deal with, I finished this first draft. And nobody can take that away from me.

Not all people will like or love my books (Silly people!) But for this little book that I just finished, I can sit back and daydream for its possibilities.

I love you, little MS.

I just finished the first draft of THE SPOTTED PONY!

\o/

Now, I'm off to daydream.

3 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

Congrats!! A big accomplishment - not that you haven't done it plenty before, but each one has it's own challenges. :) So proud of you!

Matthew MacNish said...

Congratulations!

Linda Benson said...

Congratulations - Jen! I agree - there's nothing like that feeling of a finished first draft. Yay! Yippee! Go Celebrate!!