Friday, 20 May 2011

Birthday books!!

Hello everybody!!

Happy Friday!!

And happy birthday to me!!

:-)

This naturally segues (for me anyway!) into a discussion of book character birthdays. Whivh do you remember-what were particularly memorable ones?

I remember Ramona's. And a birthday where a kid got a pony. (as a horse mad young girl I was in love with this book, heh). But why are all others escaping me?

When I was a kid, it seemed like I could begin again on my birthday. With my new cool (insert present here) I would save the world.

Have all those books gone? Is there a particular character's birthday that you remember?



3 comments:

Kimberly Mitchell said...

I'm blanking on what I read as a kid that involved birthdays, though I know they're there. I'm reading Savvy right now by Ingrid Law, which centers on the main character discovering her power on her 13th birthday. I think all kids wish they could have a secret power by their 13th birthday to help them get through those awkward years!

Heidi Willis said...

Well, happy birthday again. :) Hopefully you are making a weekend of it!

As for books - I can't remember them either. Maybe books like Hatchet and Island of the Blue Dolphins, where the kids were completely away from any ability to celebrate traditionally.

Do many MG books have birthdays in them? As a writer, it doesn't even occur to me to put a birthday in a book unless for some reason it's critical to the plot (like Something Borrowed).

Interesting question! It'll have me sneaking into my library at home all day! :)

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

Happy belated birthday!!! I hope you're still celebrating. I can't remember any character birthdays, either. Still thinking...