Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Why do you write what you write?

Hey guys!! So my book is out!

I'll take you through a picture journey of my book tomorrow. But today, I've been thinking about book writing, and royalties, and advances, and what makes a midlist and/or breakout author. I feel like there's a lot of anger and jealousy out there, no matter what anybody says - and it spills over onto Twitter, and Facebook, and most anywhere authors congregate.

I think a lot of it comes down to what you really feel like, deep down, you want to write. So I thought about it myself, because of course I have those spikes of envy sometimes. Who doesn't?

And I came to the following.

I want to write the books I write best, the ones that make kids laugh and cry and think. Ones with animals in them, and goofy best friends, and light (if any) romance. I want to continue to write books that a parent, seeing my name, wouldn't hesitate to buy and hand over ot their kids without first vetting it. Because they knew I could provide a good solid book that makes their kid want to talk about it with them after and has them think about their life and how they fit in it.

So there. That's why I write what I do. Why do you write what you do?

3 comments:

Name: Holly Bowne said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I was over at Heidi Willis's blog and saw the pic of her holding your book and thought, "I've seen that book before, haven't I?" I'd forgotten she interviewed a while back, didn't she!

I think the reasons you write are admirable ones. I'm only in the first round of ENDLESS revisions of my first attempt at a novel. But I suppos, I chose to write a novel that I'd like to read: Something with a little action, a little suspense, a little mystery a little romance, and always a little humor!

Diane J. said...

Hi, I'm popping over from Heidi's blog, congratulations!

Why do I write what I do? I don't know, I just enjoy it. I try to get a little humor in (even if it's sarcastic) because I think we all need laughter every day. And, Lord knows, my kids provide me with plenty.

Kimberly Mitchell said...

I write what I do because I remember how books profoundly affected me as a kid - how I lived those adventures and longed for my own. I learned to dream through them, and through all those characters, I learned a lot about myself. I want my books to do the same for a new generation of readers. Oh yeah, and I want to get these stories out of my head!