Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Crazy. two times in a week!

Last night, I finished something.

Let me back up.

I am a super impatient person. Like, IMPATIENT. I always want things to be done yesterday, and it's never worked out for me in writing even though I try to MAKE it. Oh, and -

I also really like to control things. ALSO another place where me and writing don't mix.

So I've had to learn some things. And I think, I really do think, that I have learned them with the last revision of this book, SCAR-FIN. (I've talked about it before).

I'd like to take a moment and write down a couple things for myself to read when I'm agonizing over the next revision (of this book or any other) (because there's always a new revision coming up).

Dear Jen: 

1. Good job, man. It wasn't easy, but you got it done.
2. Have patience. No one is going to publish this book, because it is YOUR book. You wrote it.
3. Do not despair. There is light at the end of the tunnel, even if you can't see it now.
4. You think it's done? Read it like a really mean reader. THEN see if you're happy with it.
5. Let it sit. Get great readers, and have them read it mean.
6. MEAN IS KEY.
7. It needs to be flipping AWESOME, yo. Good ain't good enough.
8. When in doubt, use the Dr Pepper as your carrot. *hee-haw!*

Patience, grasshopper.

You made it.

1 comment:

Heidi the Hick said...

This would be a good thing to hang on your wall!

Seriously, you are amazing to me. I admire your work ethic.

And sense of humour!